ODM leader Raila Odinga’s spokesperson Dennis Onyango has dismissed Deputy President William Ruto’s call for a non contested referendum.
Taking to his official Twitter handle on Thursday night, Onyango claimed that the idea that there can be a non Contested referendum exists only in the minds of “cowardly and sly conmen and women”, whom he claimed that are only found in tanga tanga political faction.
According to Dennis Onyango, Tanga tanga only want to have their cake and eat it.
Onyango argued that there will be a Contested referendum unless the political faction allied to DP Ruto surrenders and supports the Building Bridges Initiative (BBI) the way it is.
“The idea that there can be a non contested referendum exists only in the minds of cowardly and sly conmen and women in Tangatanga who want to have their cake and eat it. There will be a contested referendum unless Tangatanga surrenders and supports BBI as is, ” tweeted Onyango.
DP Ruto through his official social media handles had said that a non Contested referendum in the country is possible.
The second in command was responding to a headline that had been written by The Standard newspaper, which said “Uhuru, Raila take BBI numbers war to Ruto”.
Ruto in his response said that he loved Kenya enough, never to be part of any wars.
The DP said that there is a real possibility of a win-win consensus ahead of the looming referendum.
According to DP Ruto, an us versus them, and a Yes or No contest is unnecessary since it will lead to a lose-lose outcome.
He urged the leaders pushing for BBI to accept a non-contested referendum.
“I LOVE this country enough NEVER to be part of any ‘war.’Not when there is a real possibility for a WIN-WIN CONSENSUS beckoning. An ‘US vs THEM, ‘YES/NO’ contest that will lead to LOSE-LOSE outcome is UNNECESSARY & UNWARRANTED.A NON-CONTESTED referendum is possible. INAWEZEKANA,” DP Ruto tweeted on Wednesday November 18.
President Uhuru Kenyatta and his handshake partner Raila Odinga were to launch the official collection of signatures on Thursday November 19, but the exercise was halted.
The collection of signatures which was to take one week was postponed after President Kenyatta and his Deputy Ruto held a 3-hour meeting at State House.
According to reports, the two agreed to allow some time for dialogue, to correct the gaps that are in the initial BBI report.
Raila had earlier on argued that there is no room to make any changes on the document, claiming that the only changes to be made will be editorial.
With President Kenyatta seemingly having bowed to dialogue pressure from DP Ruto, do you think Ruto’s demands will be accepted on the document, to allow a non Contested referendum?Do you have any story you would like to share? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will publish it. You can also contact us at email@example.com