A family in Busia created a scene on Thursday after storming Port Victoria Hospital mortuary and took off with the body of their keen that had been detained for two months.
The Busia Magistrate Court had barred the burial of Paul Abulweyi on a disputed land that he called home in Budalangi.
The son of the deceased, George Asembo whole responding to the act, said that they all wanted to give their father a befitting sendoff.
He said the morgue had agreed to release the body on Monday but changed this on the last minute.
“We had settled the mortuary bill and even purchased clothes for my father in readiness for his burial on Monday,” said Asembo.
He said the morgue attendant however told them it was not safe to take the body on Monday. He urged them to come at 4 am on Tuesday. But on Tuesday, he was nowhere to be seen.
The family was kept in waiting for the better part of the day on Tuesday. Their patience ran out and they decided to storm the cold room, dressed the body, put it in a casket and left with it.
Asembo said the guard at the gate denied them exit when they became hostile. The guard ran away leaving the gate locked.
“We had no option but to jump over the gate with the body in the casket,” said a relative.