President Uhuru Kenyatta has spoken on the stampede that occurred at Kakamega Primary School on Monday evening killing 19 pupils.
The head of state last evening sent a message of comfort to the families of the children who lost their lives following the stampede.
However, the president ordered for a thorough investigation to establish the cause of the incident.
By yesterday night, the death toll had risen to 19, all the way from 14.
Speaking during a phone interview with Citizen TV on Monday night, Education Cabinet Secretary Prof George Magoha also questioned the incident that lead to the death of the pupils.
He said he was at the school last week and he witnessed the pupils come down the stairs in an orderly manner.
Magoha had confidence that there must be something that led to the stampede.
He has ordered his Principal Secretary Bellio Kipsang to arrive at the scene today morning as investigations into the matter goes on.
Earlier reports indicated that the pupils were rushing down the staircase of the school when they tripped and fell on each other.
Kakamega Central OCPD David Kabena said that at least 39 pupils were injured, noting that 20 had been treated and discharged.
Additional reports indicated that the injured pupils were in the region of 100 and that some of them have been admitted to the ICU in critical condition.
On Monday night, former Kakamega senator Boni Khalwale who arrived at Kakamega County Referral Hospital to give a helping hand noted that 19 had died and that two were in the ICU.Do you have any story you would like to share? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will publish it. You can also contact us at email@example.com